Monday, September 13, 2021

Selling Awards to Academicians …. A Bad Start-up idea…

 I receive now and then email intimations saying that I was selected for prestigious awards for my contribution to education.

My first reaction was another scam from an imposter. Don’t have a misconception: these and similar rackets are not run by individuals but by a group of people having a webpage with identity.

Once I received an email saying that one of my researches was ground-breaking research and I would be awarded in a hotel on an evening. The dinner would cost 2500 Rs (roughly 35 $). Since I am the recipient of the award, I am eligible to invite two more guests at the cost of 5000 Rs. 

Yet another time, I received a bundle of papers through a courier requesting me to sign and return the documents to an organisation in Delhi for receiving a prestigious award from their so-called organisation. The processing fee is 6000 rupees. If I am eligible or not, once the processing is over, the advance money paid will be reimbursed. 

One of my administrators received an email saying that the institution should celebrate because one of their employees (me) will be receiving an award. The organisation has to pay 12,000 rupees for the section process. (God save me, good scammers, did not bother me to pay). 

Many academicians fall prey to these scammers in a world of perform or perish policy.

Honestly, some organisations do offer awards such as 'best teacher' 'best researcher' etc… after receiving money, some run away with your money. I have to thank my analytical skills, never yielded to this scam so far.

 How would you react to such messages is solely depending upon many individual factors.

If you are hungry for awards and see these emails as a golden opportunity falling on your lap. Even if the awards are given by some known or unknown organisation, just for making money, they are selling awards to award-hungry academicians who are ready to buy. 

Probably an MBA guy runs it like a successful business model… a good, lucrative start-up… awarding people by receiving money from them and in the end earning the living penny.

I did some research on this issue. A particular website has announced awards in 60 different categories. Three awards from each category.  3  x  60 = 180 awards. There is no processing fee. Awards will be presented to the winning candidates in each category in a webinar. The candidate who applies for an award has to pay 3000 Rs.  That would entitle you to an e-certificate, trophy and medal that will be dispatched through DTDC courier after the event. If you pay 5000 Rs., a Framed Award Certificate, Trophy, and Medal.

A simple Mathematics:

180 x 3000 = 5, 40, 000 Rupees

180 x 5000 = 9, 00, 000 Rupees

Or be realistic. 50%  receive e-certificate and 50% revive Framed Award Certificate 

90 x 3000 = 2, 70, 000 Rupees

90 x 5000 = 4, 50, 000 Rupees  equals to 7, 20, 000 Rupees.

Now you can calculate the cost of courier charges, event management and chief quest etc… and the labour charges for 3 or 4 people who work few hours a day for few days. 

Good business model, for a wrong purpose.  You do not hold an MBA degree for this start-up.

As long as people foolish these things survive 

No comments:

Post a Comment