Monday, May 4, 2020

Dream Home - maison de rêve


Maison De Rêve 

I was contemplating my maison de rêve for some years now. As I discussed with near and dear ones, many thoughts brushed off my mind, new ideas, concepts, notions, and opinions; more than answers, questions emerged.
Why my mind is fixated with a kind of space, style, and symbols?
How is it that I accept some styles suggested by my loved ones while failed to see some sense in other concepts?
From where the unique thought of my maison de rêve originates.
These unanswered questions that gave me hypnagogic hallucinations and sleepless nights. Further, I developed a habit of binge-watching documentaries and TV shows on architecture, not because it released dopamine in the brain to exhilarate enthusiasm, rather, out of confusion and curiosity to understand the unique, ingenious, imaginative styles of people to articulate mine. With this confused mind, I consulted an engineer cum architect, getting a suggestion from my friend, to design a dwelling for my retirement. The two questions he raised were how much space do you need? What is your budget?
I was apoplectic. The way the engineer responded my requirement was ridiculous. I cannot visualise a house, particularly a maison de rêve limited to area and estimates. I expected the architect to ask a few fascinating queries on the space, style, and selections. Questions like, do you want the house in modern, traditional, contemporary, or conventional style? like to have the walls in bricks, stone, stone cladding or regular style? do you prefer a false ceiling, faux wood beams, textured painting, etc should have been crucial. I presumed that he would ask some stimulating questions concerning my preferences and options; in fact, carried some sample pictures to describe my dream home. I was even set to say that I already christened it, to give a clue to him on my desire, design, description, and depiction.
As my felicific visit to the engineer became spoiled, felt like blasting my friend for choosing the engineer for consultation. However, I am thankful to the engineer for his simple style, not applying any gobbledygook to frustrate me further. It makes some people happy if an architect builds a house in a moderate budget. People consider an architect a perfect builder if a particular project gets over in a shoestring budget. There is a world of issues that need focus than the conventional considerations of economics and space.
When the architect whom I approached did not consider my aesthetic aspirations, space specifications, childhood reminiscences, recurrent recollections, current likes and dislikes, assumed architectural vistas, I was utterly exasperated. Even to discern the mind of a rural, perhaps the questions asked by the architect would not suffice. A simple soul living in a squatter, someone famished for finance will have a few unique thoughts and ideas of a dream home that would go beyond area and economy. Such needs require exploration and examination by engaging enquiries. Am I aberrant or outlandish to have personal concerns about my ideal abode? I doubt the authenticity of the architect; have reservations whether he could design any meaningful dwelling?
In the course of my life journey, as a person who lived in many cultures, countries and continents, seen diverse architectural patterns and styles, I have developed a few exclusive concepts of my retreat. As a grown-up adult, doing a delicate dance in the middle of midlife, consciously calculating my individuation process with well-defined wishes, I am sure, the two main measures by which the architect intends to visualise my dream house are inadequate. It gave me the impression that good architects are thin on the ground.
Even though not a big fan of the American tiny-house movement, I desire to have a simple, affordable, self-reliant lifestyle. However, many unique specifications adore my dream. An open floor plan, a kind of Tuscan outlook with an earthy rustic appeal, arched doors and windows, some Spanish terracotta tiles for the floor, arches and arcades, sheltered walkways, tower-like protruding chimney, a courtyard or a patio, or courtyard patio to feel the morning and evening wind, an atrium or a loggia to enjoy the free flow of wind are all well fixed in my mind. Besides that, some elements of Tudor architecture also attracts me and dandle in the imagination. Using bricks and natural stones, timber exposures as if supporting the roof, Mangalore tiles to decorate the roof, a stone fireplace to feel the warmth in the winter to play guitar or flute, or listen to some soothing songs or to lie down on the sofa to watch TV, an oriel window supported by decorative corbels, an attached garage in ranch home style, are also my fantasy and part of my daydreaming.
I had constant conversations with my friends who built houses recently; had regular discussions with people who were interested in buildings; organised seminar talks; convoked a colloquium on art and culture to know the different viewpoints of various groups, all to broaden my idea on architecture. To find answers to my queries, argued freely with students of artistic aspirations; requested friends to interview architects; sharpened my mind by assimilating ideas and gathering concepts; the more I indulged, the more I stumbled. My search and sagacity in understanding my architectural aspirations did not bear fruit and led me more into befuddlement than enlightenment that forced to take shelter in my comfort zone, psychology, to find a few answers. Depth Psychology salvaged me to in my perplexity.
My thinking took a significant shift in understanding architecture. From defining architecture as a space utility from an environmental psychology perspective, I went on viewing it from the Freudian and Jungian concepts of the psyche, symbols and the enigma of the unconscious that subdue every encounter. This new paradigm gave me the following insights: architecture, as it is understood in constructing simple human habitat, apparently appears to be an uncomplicated act for an architect, but a complex concern for the cryptic complexity of every individual’s obscurity that makes it impossible that no single specification or description can distinctively define any design that could eventually enchant the exclusivity of every individual. If the intricacy of individual inclinations originates from the conspicuous conscious mind, it could be communicated by the client easily and effortlessly to the architect who can design the space accurately. Every exclusive expression amalgamates from the arcane bottoms of the unconscious that is unseen, unknown, and unexplained that makes it difficult for an individual to articulate unambiguously the fashion and pattern. Since the deep-seated unconscious has a crucial role in the inimitable individual’s architectural aspirations, the impenetrable inner depths of the individual psyche need to be infiltrated and for that, information on depth psychology is inevitable and indispensable. Depth psychology penetrates the profoundness of psychic symbols to assist architects and clients to capture the aesthetic allure that which arises from the sui generis psyche and the unfathomable unconscious and attempts to comprehend this complexity capitalising preternatural procedures of psychological presumptions.
Real osmosis!
My outlook on architecture took a giant leap and crispy convictions cropped up. I examine every piece of architecture not from a conventional concept of customary construction rather a reflection of an inner psyche through concealed symbols. When I see a building, its art, aesthetics, colour combinations, delicate designs, elegant environment in which it stands, matching materials used, the utility of spaces, all that attract me, give new dimensions to my perception, understanding, and admiration. 
**************************
Janetius, S.T. (2020). Architectural Psychology: Space, Psyche, Enigma & Symbol, Mishil & Js Publishers, Thrissur, ISBN: 978-1974307715

No comments:

Post a Comment